It is a fantasy that muscle mass, energy and stamina require the intake of big quantities of animal-centered foodstuff. This fantasy began in advance of anyone even talked about protein. During the Olympics, it is a fantastic time to get a glimpse at some incredible athletes who are champions and vegetarians:
- Charlene Wong is a winner figure skater who represented Canada in the 1988 Calgary Olympics. She commenced competing at the age of 6 and in 1980 was named to the Canadian Workforce and represented Canada in the Junior Entire world Championships. She was highlighted in The Vegetarian Sports Nourishment Manual by Lisa Dorfman.
- Paavo Nurmi, a Finnish runner, was a vegetarian given that the age of 12. He is frequently thought of the finest observe and area athlete of all time. A prolonged-distance runner, he competed in the 1920, 1924 and 1928 Olympics, profitable 12 Olympic medals.
- Chris Campbell, wrestler, qualified for the 1980 Olympics but did not contend as the American crew boycotted the 1980 Moscow Olympics. At age 37, he began teaching once more and secured a area on the US team, profitable a bronze medal at the 1992 Olympics, getting to be the oldest American to medal in Olympic wrestling. He states, “I take care of my entire body. I will not try to eat meat, and I do yoga each individual working day. It makes a change.”
- Carl Lewis, vegan athlete, won 10 Olympic medals, including 9 golds, in a job that spanned from 1979 to 1996, competing for the US. He reported, “most athletes have the worst diet regime in the entire world, and they compete in spite of it.”
- Surya Bonaly, qualified figure skater, represented France in the Olympics of 1992, 1994, and 1998. She is also now a US citizen. A vegetarian, she has appeared in PETA ads protesting Canada’s toddler seal hunt and English and French fur trade.
- Debbie Lawrence, vegetarian racewalker, has been a three-time Olympian (1992, 1996, and 2000) and is the planet history holder for the women’s 5K racewalk event. She characteristics her achievement to challenging function and a vegetarian food plan.
Murray Rose, a vegetarian considering that beginning, has six Olympic medals. He was born in
1939 in Nairn, Scotland, but he moved to Australia with his household at an early age. He was an Olympic winner at age seventeen. He was identified for his vegetarianism for the duration of his career, earning him the nickname, “The Seaweed Streak.” He competed in the Olympics from 1956 by means of 1960, successful 6
- Al Oerter, discus thrower, gained four Olympic gold medals for the US – in 1956, 1960, 1964. He was also an summary painter.
- Edwin Moses, hurdler for the US, is a gold medalist who went 8 several years without having dropping the 400-meter hurdle. Above his profession, he won two Olympic gold medals. After retirement from track, he in completed in a 1990 World Cup bobsled race in Germany and gained the two-person bronze medal with US Olympian Brian Shimer. Edwin Moses is a vegetarian.
- Leroy Burrell, sprinter, two times established the globe record for the 100 meter dash. He received a gold medal for the US in 1992 in Barcelona. He is a vegetarian.
As mentioned in “Vegetarian Diet programs” by the Worldwide Center for Sports activities Diet, Olympic Mentor Journal, Winter season 1997:
“If treatment is taken to include a vast wide range of meals, vegetarian diet programs can be nutritionally suitable to guidance athletic efficiency.”
“Regardless of whether an specific is a recreational or planet-class athlete, becoming a vegetarian does not diminish normal expertise or athletic effectiveness. As much back as the Historic Video games, Greek athletes properly trained on vegetarian eating plans and exhibited awesome capacity in competitive athletics.”
Looking at these 10 vegetarian Olympic athletes, it truly is distinct that the want to eat meat to be potent and a winner is a myth. A entire foods, plant-centered food plan will give an athlete all the great nourishment he or she wants to be a winner.